In This Article Show
- What Can Cause a Chevy Cruze Key To Get Stuck?
- How To Fix This Problem
- What Not To Do If Your Key Is Stuck in the Ignition
- How To Prevent a Chevy Cruze From Getting Stuck In Ignition
Have you ever experienced a situation whereby you attempted to start your Chevy Cruze, and the key got stuck in the ignition? This can be a very frustrating experience, and this article aims to educate you on resolving this issue.
But before then, let’s explore why your key may get stuck in the ignition when starting your Chevy Cruze car.
What Can Cause a Chevy Cruze Key To Get Stuck?
Various reasons could cause your Chevy Cruze key to become stuck in the ignition. The most common cause could be either a low battery or dead battery voltage.
If the problem is with the battery, all you need to do is to either jumpstart or replace it.
Another very common reason is a steering wheel lock. If the problem is with the lock, you can try gently turning the key while moving your steering wheel back and forth.
Other causes include:
1. Foreign Object Obstruction
Foreign objects such as coins, lint, or hair can all fall into the keyhole and obstruct it. This will automatically prevent the ignition key from being inserted or removed. These objects are called foreign objects because they do not belong in the keyhole.
2. Broken Key
A broken key can also become stuck in the ignition. A key that is bent or broken is more likely to become stuck than a key that is in good condition.
3. Worn-out Key
Your Chevy Cruze key may be worn out if it is old. Because worn keys do not fit as snugly into the keyhole, they are more likely to become stuck in the ignition.
4. Ignition Lock Cylinder Problem
The chances of this happening are very slim. However, if this issue occurs frequently, it could indicate a problem with the ignition lock cylinder.
To start the vehicle, insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder. If the cylinder is damaged, the key may become stuck.
How To Fix This Problem
Here are some ways to fix this problem:
1. Wiggle the key as you turn
When the key becomes stuck in the ignition, try wiggling it carefully while turning it. This may aid in removing the key from the ignition.
Please do this cautiously to avoid causing additional damage, such as breaking the ignition key.
2. Turn The Steering Wheel Left and Right
This is one of the common things that can lead to your key being stuck in the ignition. If the cause of the key is stuck in a locked steering wheel, you should try to turn the steering wheel left and right gently to try to unlock the steering wheel.
If you can manage to unlock the steering wheel, the key should become unstuck.
3. Visit a Mechanic
In this situation, the best thing to do to avoid causing further damage is to visit a repair shop and have them fix the issue. Especially when you have tried the options listed above, you should visit a mechanic.
What Not To Do If Your Key Is Stuck in the Ignition
While having a key stuck in the ignition is already a frustrating experience, you could cause more damage if you don’t handle the issue carefully.
Here are a few things you should avoid doing if you find yourself in this situation.
1. Try Not To Start The Engine
In an attempt to get out of this situation quickly or get on the road as fast as you can, it’s important that you do not attempt to start your car until you can get the key out. You can damage the starter motor this way.
2. Try Not To Use Excessive Force
While trying to remove the key, ensure you do not use excessive force. Using excessive force can cause ignition damage or even cause the key to break in the ignition.
3. Do Not Leave The Car In the Ignition
If you ever experience this situation, try to get the car out of ignition mode. Leaving the car in ignition mode can drain the battery of your car.
How To Prevent a Chevy Cruze From Getting Stuck In Ignition
Here are some tips to help prevent your Chevy Cruze from getting stuck in the ignition:
- Avoid placing heavy objects on top of the ignition. As this could cause damage to the ignition, making it difficult to insert or remove the key.
- Keep your keys out of the reach of children so they do not put foreign objects into the keyhole.
- Damaged keys should be disposed of as they could get stuck in the ignition if used.
- Get a new Chevy Cruze key if yours is already old or worn. An old worn-out key can get stuck in the ignition.
- Car Jerks When Slowing Down (9 Causes & Simple Fixes
- Is It Safe To Drive With A Broken Brake Line?
- Autozone Alternatives: Top Stores Like Autozone To Buy Auto Parts
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Help us improve it for you and others.
Tell us how we can improve this post? Any and all details appreciated.